Nursery Part I

The time has finally come! I’m so excited to start working on this baby’s nursery I can’t contain it! Since we decided not to find out the sex the space is going to be very gender neutral. So many people have asked me, knowing I love interior design, how I would work on the nursery without knowing the sex. Honestly, my whole house is gender neutral! I love to keep a clean palette and then add pops of color here and there. With so many options out there it’s been hard to decide but I created a mood board to help keep me on track of pieces I want to add to the space. Once the baby arrives we can always add some feminine touches or masculine ones. Gender Neutral Nursery Mood Board

One of my favorite things about this house is that it is the house my husband grew up in. We have been working little by little to make it our own and this space is no different. The room we will be turning into the nursery used to be my husbands childhood room. Up until recently it still looked like his childhood room since all of his bedroom furniture was still in there! Sadly it was also the space where things went to die. Don’t know where to put that box? Stick it in the bedroom. Too lazy to put all that wrapping paper up into the attic? Stick it in the bedroom for now. Catch my drift?

Our plan is to empty this space out and start from scratch. Our first order of business was selling all that furniture and clearing out as much as we could! Try not to judge…just think of this room like Monica Gellar’s closet.Baby V Nursery Part 1We were lucky enough to sell all the furniture, which was in great condition to a family with 2 little girls who will hopefully enjoy it for years to come.
Next up was removing all the old molding and ripping up the carpet. We aren’t ready to take the carpet away yet since we will be doing more work like adding new molding and painting. Rather than having to cover the beautiful hardwood underneath we’re keeping the carpet there but we wanted to clear out all the nail strips.Baby V Nursery Part 1Baby V Nursery Part 1Baby V Nursery Part 1Baby V Nursery Part 1Baby V Nursery Part 1Baby V Nursery Part 1We are working step by step with this room so the next task is to move the A/C vent a bit father away from the wall  so the crown molding will fit and then to center the light fixture. If you scroll up you may notice how incredibly off center it is! Once the holes have been patched it will be time to paint!

Choosing a paint color was interesting. I knew the exact color I wanted, Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore, until I put a sample on the wall and was confused by how dark it was. Next to it I also tested Edgecomb Gray, our bedroom color, and then Balboa Mist. I posted this photo on Instagram and the right side seemed to be the popular vote.Baby V Nursery Part 1The problem? Those colors were not at all how they actually should look. To test it out I painted a strip of primer underneath the samples and once it dried I resampled the paint. Sure enough the colors were much more true to color. In the end, we chose Balboa Mist (left color but it actually looks like the color on the right) by Benjamin Moore. As much as I love Revere Pewter it was still reading a bit too dark for this space. The lesson learned here? Just because your walls look close to white you should still prime before testing out paints. 

Can’t wait to move on to the next step! Now to order and paint all the molding! 

Advertisements

DIY Iron-on Onesies

A friend and co-worker of mine is working on baby number 2 who is due in just a few weeks. Of course I immediately started to think about a sweet gift I could put together for her. When my BFF was preggers with her daughter I had made these cute little felt animals that were attached to some onesies with a small sew on snap. I thought to do the same thing this time but rather than animals I got a little more creative. Oh and did I mention she’s having a boy!

The bow tie and tie were the easiest of the three. I used these clip art images to trace over:

Once I had them cut out I them traced them onto black felt, cut them out and then used hemming tape to iron them onto the onesie. Easy Peasy!

Now the skull and bones were a whole other story!! I started out by finding an image to work with ( I found the image on my iPad and then placed paper on top and just traced it since I don’t have a printer).

First I worked with the skull head and traced it onto the felt and then did the bones separate.

I cut the eyes, nose and mouth freehand with black felt. I then decided to cut all the same shapes again in black to give it a layered look. This is where things started to get complicated! I thought I could use fabric glue but the glue I had didn’t really work well and so I ended up pulling out my needle and thread and sewing the eyes, nose, mouth and bones on. I then sewed the top white layer to the back black layer. Once I had it all together I used the hemming tape to iron it onto the onesie. Since they were all iron-on they should all hold in the wash.

I’m not really happy with how it turned out but for the first time it’s not too shabby!

She loved them which in the end is all that matters! Can’t wait to see the little man in them!